Evaluation: Diabetes For Life (Memphis, TN)
Research Questions and Measures
|What is the impact of multi-level interventions (diabetes self-management, nutrition and fitness education, and case management) on patient clinical and behavioral outcomes?||
|What is the impact of intensive provider training on the interaction between patient and provider?||
|Does implementing a collaborative model program in six primary care practices improve the delivery of diabetes care and outcomes for African Americans with Type 2 diabetes in Memphis and Shelby County?||
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). (2011). Behavioral Risk Factor Surveillance System Survey Questionnaire. Atlanta, Georgia: U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
- Kazis, L.E., Miller, D.R., Skinner, K.M., Lee, A., Ren, X.S., Clark, J.A., Rogers, W.H., Spiro III, A., Selim, A., Linzer, M., Payne, S.M,, Mansell, D., & Fincke, B.G. (2006). Applications of methodologies of the Veterans Health Study in the VA Health Care System: Conclusions and summary. Ambulatory Care Management, 29, 2182-2188.
- Koenig, H.G., & Büssing, A. (2010). The Duke University Religion Index (DUREL): A five-item measure for use in epidemological studies. Religions, 1(1), 78-85.
- McCormack, L.A., Williams-Piehota, P.A., Bann, C.M., Burton, J., Kamerow, D.B., Squire, C., et al. (2008). Development and validation of an instrument to measure resources and support for chronic illness self-management: A model using diabetes. Diabetes Educator, 34(4), 707-718.
- Stanford Patient Education Research Center, Stanford University School of Medicine. (2013). Sample Questionnaire: Chronic Disease. http://patienteducation.stanford.edu/research/cdquest.pdf.
- Stanford Patient Education Research Center, Stanford University School of Medicine. (2013). Diabetes Self-Efficacy Scale. http://patienteducation.stanford.edu/research/sediabetes.html.
- The University of Memphis Mid-South Survey Research Center. (2013). Mid-South Social Survey. http://www.memphis.edu/msss/.
- Toobert, D.J., Hampson, S.E., & Glasgow, R.E. (2000). The Summary of Diabetes Self-Care Activities Measure: Results from 7 studies and a revised scale. Diabetes Care, 23(7), 943-950.
- Williams, G.C., McGregor, H.A., Zeldman, A., Freedman, Z.R., & Deci, E.L. (2004). Testing a self-determination theory process model for promoting glycemic control through diabetes self-management. Health Psychology, 23(1), 58-66.
- Glasgow, R.E., Wagner, E.H., Schaefer, J., Mahoney, L.D., Reid, R.J., & Greene, S.M. (2005). Development and validation of the Patient Assessment of Chronic Illness Care (PACIC). Medical Care, 43(5), 436-444.
- Brownson, C.A., Miller, D., Crespo, R., Neuner, S., Thompson, J.C., Wall, J.C., Emont, S., Fazzone, P., Fisher, E.B., & Glasgow, R.E. (2007). Development and use of a quality improvement tool to assess self-management support in primary care. Joint Commission Journal on Quality and Patient Safety, 33(7), 408-416.
Presentations and Publications
Hartig, M.T., Johnson, P., Frazier, R., Clayton, M., Oliver, G., Nelson, B.W., & Williams-Cleaves, B.J. (2014, December). Faith-based support of T2DM self-management for African-Americans. Poster presentation at the 2014 Minority Health and Health Disparities Grantees' Conference, National Harbor, MD.
Johnson, P., Nelson, B.W. (2014, May). Assessing the impact of health literacy of health professionals engaged in a diabetes self-management program: The Diabetes for Life Project. Presentation at the Institute for Healthcare Advancement 13th Annual Health Literacy Conference, Irvine, CA.
Johnson, P., Hartig, M.T., Frazier, R., Clayton, M., Oliver, G., Nelson, B.W., & Williams-Cleaves, B.J. (2014). Engaging faith-based resources to initiate and support diabetes self-management among African Americans: A collaboration of informal and formal systems of care. Health Promotion Practice, 15(2S), 71S-82S.
Johnson, P. & Berkley, A. (2013, August). Issues related to health disparities & its' role in self-management of type 2 diabetes. Presentation at the American Association of Diabetes Educators (AADE) Annual Meeting, Philadelphia, PA.
Johnson, P. (2013, May). Diabetes conversation maps: Journey to better diabetes education. Presentation at the Institute for Healthcare Advancement's 12th Annual Health Literacy Conference, Irvine, CA.